Monday 22 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Simon Daly

name:  Simon Daly

age:  I usually pick something from 1957 or 1923 when filling forms like this on the internet.


How would you describe your work?

I would avoid describing my work. These questions are hard. Its only because you offered to punch me on the nose that i'm having another go. If my work was a dvd it would be a early eighties tv box set that was next to Children of the Stones and Quatermass in the shop. That's more of a description of a dvd I like than any thing I've produced. My work is not a dvd.

Looking at my website I'd say I like drawing and colours. Looks like there's some thing to do with popular culture, with animation, comics, and computer games. There's some sort of attempt at humour or something to do with ideas? who knows?

What are you currently working on?

I'm kinda in-between things at the moment.  I'm thinking of doing more digital stuff in the future. I've just finished up some 3d modeling on the computer. Doing that has made think about ways of working at higher speeds. Of simplifying things and combining 3d modeling and drawing. So I'm modeling 3d environments but some of the edges of objects are drawings rather than models. So I'm trying to merge a bunch of techniques into a new process. I don't know where its going but its a long time since i spent any time trying new stuff out for its own sake.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?

Books at the top of my pile are Miyazaki watercolours, a book of aerial photos of Britain, book about Kamishibai.
I've been looking at painting lately because of the 3d models. Trying to work out how to work more like that with patches of colour rather than having too much of the wrong detail as is the tradition with computer graphics.

3 artists/designers you love and why!

I would have liked to spend more time answering these questions properly. But then the show would be over. And where would that time come from anyway.

Nathan Fowkes : Found this the other day. Painting is good. I'm really into painting at the moment. Because I'm making 3d models ?!

Paper Rad: i cant explain why i like that stuff as much as i do

Hayao Miyazaki: could try and link to some interesting things you might not have heard of but Miyzazki. just, you know.

3 things that make you smile:

"now I wont be able to buy my hovercraft"
er...
Plus two other things.

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc.?

I have nothing upcoming. but I think I'm starting from scratch again anyway. I'm not really into physical objects at the mo. And I'm not sure its relevant to exhibit digital stuff.

(Simon was bullied into answering some questions for us, pointing out to me that 'not everyone likes to fill in forms as much as you do Camilla' so I feel a bit mean, but seriously Simon is great and Claire and I LOVED the postcard he designed for our original Calm Air All Ice show last year so we had to invite him back)

No comments:

Post a Comment