Sunday 21 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Laura Donald



Name: Laura Donald

Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Age: 29

Website(s): (websites, blogs, flickrs, etc you name it, we’ll link it!)

Blog

etsy

shopify

How would you describe your work?

That is a tough one! I’d say I am fairly eclectic, which is really the diplomatic term for a jack of all trades! I have to say, the first time I did a craft market and saw all my wares together in one place, I was surprised by how… jaunty everything looked. The things I make definitely do make people smile. Well, they either smile or look confused!

What are you currently working on?

Building up a healthy supply of stock so that I have more time to work on new ideas. Despite developing a (tragic) allergy to sewing, I have lots of embroidery-based ideas and plans, but probably more embroidered products than embroideries, if you see what I mean… I can’t say any more just now!

Where do you find inspiration for your work?

Television, fairy tales, chats, charity shops, vintage craft books and (obviously) the internet. Getting into reading other people’s crafty blogs is probably why I do what I do. I also find I get really inspired by looking at supplies. Visiting an art/fabric shop always sets my mind buzzing with potential new projects.

3 artists/designers you love and why! :

Finding it too hard to narrow down, I’ve decided to focus on stitchers and have picked three good-humoured embroiderers who are far from traditional. Here goes…

Lou Trigg whose Dusty Springfield embroidery directly inspired me to sew my first ever Dot Cotton portrait! Her tragic women collection is amazing.

Claire of Miso Funky who holds down a full-time job while running a veritable cross-stitch empire! Claire has given me lots of advice and encouragement over the past couple of years and was also the first person to stock any of my work.

Jessica Kallam who gives away a hand-made embroidery on a monthly basis. She used to give away an amazing embroidery every single week! I wish I was as fast (and as generous) as her!

3 things that make you smile:

EastEnders (except when people die – I’m still not over the live episode)

Charity shopping

People choosing to buy something I’ve made myself – still so exciting!

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:

You will find me selling my wares at the Made In The Shade Springtime Jamboree (the Lighthouse, Glasgow on Saturday 17th April) and at Say No To Plastic (Oran Mor, Glasgow on Sunday 18th April).


No comments:

Post a Comment