Wednesday 24 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Claire Platt (aka the other half of Calm Air All Ice)

hand knitted Heinkel He 111


Name:
Claire Platt

Age:
24

Location:
London

Website(s):

www.claireplatt.com
blog, flickr, tumblr
and calm air all ice!

How would you describe your work?
an attempt to combine things I love and make them into beautiful objects. or to put it in plain terms (no pun intended) knitted aeroplanes! (mostly)

What are you currently working on?
I'm currently finishing knitting a duck for an upcoming show and planning some new pieces -
This summer/autumn marks the 7oth anniversary of the battle of britain so my new pieces will be centred entirely around British planes and those specifically involved in the battle. I'm collecting the new wood cut pieces on Monday! I'm very excited!

Where do you find inspiration for your work?
Airshows, the sky, knitting books, fair isle knitting, aran knitting, magazines, galleries, etc etc

3 artists/designers you love and why! :
Obviously all the wonderful people involved with this show, but outside of that...
Kiki Smith - her drawings are stunning, and her objects even more so
Rachel Denny - because she transforms knitted jumpers into wonderful sculptures
Jeffrey Milstein - his photographs of commercial airliners are the best I've ever seen, in fact I saw a show of his at the photographers gallery long before I was creating my planes. I think it sat in my head inspiring me subconsciously.

3 things that make you smile:
matthew
sunny days
listening to good music

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:
knit one, purl one:
Contemporary Knitting and Crochet at the touchstones gallery, Rochdale May 1st-July 4th 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment