Wednesday 3 March 2010

52 mini interviews: astulabee/Nicole Licht


Name: Nicole Licht

Location: Brooklyn, NY

Age: I'm counting on my fingers to make sure ...37 I thought maybe I was still 36 but no dice.

How would you describe your work?
nature inspired, imaginary, secretly angsty

What are you currently working on?
experiments with wall pieces

Where do you find inspiration for your work?
costume design, movies, music, random photographs, my materials.

3 artists/designers you love and why! :
I like too many artists and designers ... so many, so just off the cuff, specifically and sentimentally:
Jason Rhoades when I saw his Cherry Makita show at David Zwirner in 1993 I was so blown away with the rubble, huge active motor, duct tape handmade tools and fictional storytelling I kept saying to myself, "So excellent, art can be this!" I can still remember how excited I felt.
Rainer Werner Fassbinder made life changing, ever stylized, entertaining and brilliant films, where things do not end up all well: Chinese Roulette, The Marriage of Maria Braun, In a Year of 13 Moons. So good.
Gillian Wearing her photographs give opportunity to the sitter (or stander). I love this.

3 things that make you smile:
Have you seen my puppy? Ridiculous.
My boyfriend and child are both pretty funny.
Finding that someone else has just up and washed the dishes.

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:
I have a plush exclusive coming up with Schmancy, I'll be participating in a group show called "Lost at Sea" curated by Kristen Rask at Gallery Hanahou in May

Don't forget to keep checking back for news about the show, interviews and more!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to read that Miss Astulabee is taking part in 52 & yes, yes, yes to Fassbinder! Now I need to go and look up Jason Rhoades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love to read Nicole's answers.
    She's always surprising, interesting and intriguing in a good way.
    Also her work is genius !
    x x x
    ___m___

    ReplyDelete