Tuesday 23 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Alys Paterson


Name: Alys Paterson
 Location: Bristol
 Age:  30

 Blog


How would you describe your work?

Wow it’s hard to describe your own work! It’s colourful, happy and hopefully a little bit magical.


What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on some cards for John Lewis. After that I am planning a screen print of a boat.


Where do you find inspiration for your work?

People, books, music, art, folklore, poetry, films, music, walks, natural history….and on and on….


3 artists/designers you love and why!:

Howard Hodgkin -  what he does with colour is phenomenal. Though seemingly abstract his pictures are full of emotion and feeling. Each painting is associated with a memory, a person or place. This is idea is central to my work too, many of the themes I go back to are in very linked to my childhood or linked in with how I am feeling or how I want to feel. 

Maria Kalman  - read "Principle of Uncertainty' or look at her blog ‘The Pursuit of Happiness’ and you will love her too:
Rob Ryan – His work is beautiful, lyrical and all over my walls!


3 things that make you smile:
Family and friends
Gretel – our family cat
silliness

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:

I have been asked me to take part in the next 'Girls Who Draw' postcard book and exhibition, which I am very excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment