Tuesday 9 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Courtney Chelo


Name: Courtney Chelo
Location: Somerville, MA
Age: 24

Website(s):

carbonmade (getting a makeover!)

flickr

How would you describe your work?
Maps, anatomy, birds, paper planes, old books, and some paint. Mixed media on paper, sometimes some needlework tossed in for fun. Most of what I make is at least half recycled or thrifted and made new again.

What are you currently working on?
Getting my studio space set up again! I was renting a studio with friends and that dissolved after a year, so now I'm working out of my house. It makes for a bit of a tight squeeze in terms of storage, so it has also been a good incentive to destash before getting any new materials. I've been so focused on making lots of small stuff lately than I'm looking forward to spending some spring afternoons on the porch altering some larger thrifted paintings. I'm also excited to do some more three dimensional stuff with boxes.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?
All over the place. I've been reading a lot for the first time since college and that helps with inspiration. Plus I try to keep a lot of fun-to-look-at stuff around my house, so when I'm feeling uninspired a little lap around the apartment or a flip through an anatomy textbook helps.

3 artists/designers you love and why! :
Cassandra Warren is not only an amazing artist, but a wonderful friend.
Victoria Statsenko is my newest artcrush. Keep an eye out for this young lady!
Louise Bourgeois... "one of these things is not like the others," i know, but i had to include her. her work has always struck a chord.

3 things that make you smile:
This cat. This lady (and that wall of hers). This lamp.

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:
My work is on display for the first time for the month of March at BUOY Gallery in Kittery, ME. It is part of a large group show for the ArtPM Challenge. For New Englanders, the opening is Saturday, March 13 from 7-11 pm!

1 comment: