Wednesday 17 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Bess Harding


Name: Bess Harding

Location: London

Age: 25

Website(s):

Blog

Website

Shop

How would you describe your work?

Simple, clean, quirky, child-friendly, witty and diverse. I started off making fabric dolls and little characters, but this has grown to include illustration and some painting.

What are you currently working on?

I’ve been concentrating mostly on two-dimensional things, including illustrating some children’s poems, experimenting with papercutting and a bit of logo design. I’m also contributing a monthly DIY craft project for the lovely online children’s magazine/blog Small.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?

I’m inspired by the creativity of other artists, but try not to let other people’s work influence mine too much, most of the time I’m not really sure where my ideas come from. One thing that always makes me desperate to create is reading interiors magazines like Elle Deco and Living Etc. or flicking through my scrapbook.

3 artists/designers you love and why! :

Kristen Vestgard for her absolutely divine, ethereal and unique paintings

Oliver Jeffers for his incredibly brilliant children’s illustrations that are seriously artistic and manage to be equally appealing to adults ()

Julie Arkell for her offbeat-but-beautifully-made papier mâché creations.

3 things that make you smile:

Swimming in the sea, an unexpected pun, when something I make turns out just how I imagined.

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:

Nothing at the moment. I have my Etsy shop though, which I intend to spend more time stocking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment