Friday 5 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Lisa Solomon

how fantastic! a taster of the work will actually be recieving for the show!

Name: Lisa Solomon
Location:
Oakland, CA USA
Age:
36
Website(s):

website :: http://www.lisasolomon.com
blog ::
flickr ::


How would you describe your work?
I think one unifying factor in my work is the notion of hybridization. I’m repeatedly try to fuse materials, or concepts, or formal aspects that may at first appear disparate. I’m also interested in the domestic and domestic practices [and by default how this relates to gender] - and how to celebrate or monumentalize them. I consistently use thread as a drawing device and as a means to enhance the dimensionality of my work.

I’m interested in patterning and repetitive behaviors. How recurring imagery can alter our view of something – perhaps re-framing and re-purposing our relationship to something we may usually overlook.

I am also supremely interested in the intersection of art and craft.

What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on a series of doily drawings depicting viruses. I’m also about to start working on a series of commemorative pieces – using color and embroidery stitches to represent important dates of loved ones.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?
practically everywhere.

3 artists/designers you love and why! :
currently I’ve been obsessing over Lauren DiCioccio, Victoria May and Mung Lar Lam

3 things that make you smile:
my daughter on a swing
my husband emerging from the kitchen with a fantastic dinner for me
my dog and cat spooning in front of the fire

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:
my work is currently in these two shows
Depth of Surface
By a Thread

I’ll be having a solo show at Angels Gate in the Fall and a 3 person show at Art Stream Studios at the end of the year

Don't forget to keep checking back for news about the show, interviews and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment