Wednesday 24 March 2010

52 mini interviews: Camilla Stacey (aka one half of Calm Air All Ice)

Name: Camilla Stacey
Location: Weston-super-Mare
Age: 36

Website(s):

How would you describe your work? 

Drawing plays a large part in my work, it’s one of the threads that links whatever I do, although I do work across a wide variety of media. I have a fascination with found photos and postcards and a love of nostalgia and the past.  A sense of time and memory is important to my work.
 

What are you currently working on?

I’m working on a series of pieces at the moment that are investigating time, ways of mapping histories and imagined timelines. I am working with found pianola rolls and am enjoying working in a scroll like format- it lends itself well to work about time and I’m starting to investigate making durational work and incorporate the tidal aspect that is ever present in a seaside town like Weston.

Where do you find inspiration for your work? 

Junk shops, old photo albums, found postcards, family histories, old films, ‘treasure’. My house is full of ‘stuff’ and I can’t stop picking up things that inspire me- I’m inspired by pretty much everything I ever see. I love to visit new exhibitions and am a fan of history documentaries.  

3 artists/designers you love and why! :

Amy Santoferraro I saw an exhibition of her work in Cwmbran, Wales completely by chance and I totally loved her use of found objects and ceramics.

Xin one of the artists that sadly couldn’t take part in 52, I love her drawings and paintings, and she also makes amazing comics as well as her Doinky Doodles shop that sells handmade goodies

Maya Bloch: I just love Maya’s drawings and wish I could own one for myself. Her work makes me want to draw more and more and to be true to my own way of drawing.

(Lots of my other favourites are taking part in this show of course!)

3 things that make you smile:
My oldest nephew
My youngest nephew
My niece

(don’t worry I haven’t left anyone out- I only have the three)
 

Do you have any other upcoming exhibitions/shows etc:

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Summer Show
Bath Spa University Gallery
17th June

I’m also curating shows by Rachael Allen from 15th-26th March, Sophie Jones  from 19th-30th April and Edith Abeyta from 3rd-21st May all at the Bath Spa University Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment